ONBIDA has prepared a Position Statement that includes recommendations for improving literacy instruction and outcomes for all students in Ontario public schools, including those with dyslexia:
- Eliminate systemic discrimination and inequity in reading/writing instruction.
- Provide effective reading instruction ('Structured Literacy" instruction) for all.
- Early out early literacy screening of all students should occur in Kindergarten/early Grade 1.
- Teachers should receive training and support in implementing Structured Literacy instruction, early screening, effective interventions and knowledge of learning disabilities, including dyslexia.
- Provide ongoing support for students with dyslexia, including appropriate accommodations.