The Center for Effective Reading Instruction (CERI), a subsidiary organization of IDA, offers professional certificates and certifications to qualified individuals teaching and supporting reading in public and private general, remedial, and special education settings. These certificates and certifications include:
- Structured Literacy Classroom Teacher Knowledge Certificate
- Structured Literacy/Dyslexia Interventionist
- Structured Literacy/Dyslexia Specialist
All CERI certificate and certification holders are knowledgeable about the following essential concepts, as assessed by the Knowledge and Practice Examination for Effective Reading Instruction (KPEERI):
- language and reading development
- the structure of language
- how to recognize and intervene on behalf of reading difficulties
- how to utilize screening, diagnostic, and progress monitoring measures to support the attainment of improved reading outcomes
- how to plan, deliver, and manage the provision of systematic, explicit, cumulative reading and writing lessons
- the importance of upholding ethical professional practices
The Knowledge and Practice Examination for Effective Reading Instruction (KPEERI), formerly the Certification Examination for Effective Reading Instruction (CEERI), measures an educator’s knowledge of the principles and practices of Structured Literacy.
To prepare for the exam using the free online Reading Rockets modules, visit http://www.readingrockets.org/teaching/reading101-course/modules/course-modules.
These 9 course modules include in-depth information, classroom strategies, assignments and additional resources on the building blocks of teaching reading and writing.
For more information, visit the CERI website.